Saturday, July 28, 2012

Feet

Lets talk about feet.  We try to keep a working list of abilities of staff members at the farm.  Lists like, “This person can’t do vomit.”  Or “this person can handle blood.”  One of the things I’m alright with is feet.  Not in a creepy way, but in a soap and water kind of way.  One day last week, a 4 year old was saying that her feet hurt.  She had been wearing rain boots without socks and had rubbed a blister.  Well, there were a few layers of dirt and grime before we could get to the blister.  I felt useful cleaning that little girl’s feet.
The next day, I walked up to Mrs. Pam’s house to find Courtney outside looking sick.  I asked her what was wrong, and she said to walk inside.  Another little girl had been wearing her rain boots for a LONG time without socks.  She had popped her tootsies out, and it was rank.  I don’t smell very well, but it smacked me in the nose holes. 
A few days later, I heard Natali talking about a foot washing.  I thought this was purely hygienic.  In the past we’ve had a lice war where for several hours adults pulled lice.  I figured this was a battle against horrible smelling feet.  I was ready.  I was going to be Maximus Aurelia of slaughtering foot grime.  I was going to taunt bad foot hygiene as it was annihilated and made an example of for all of its friends. 
That’s not what was going on.
What was really happening was a ceremony.  We had candles lit, and benches in an L shape around where the staff was sitting with towels and water.  If this sounds strange, its because it was.  It was the last night that the staff that we’ve had for the last year would be together.  It was explained that the people sitting on the floor were living in Honduras for the purpose of serving these little girls with our lives because that what God called us to do.  It was said that we were going to wash the girls’ feet whether they wanted it or not, as a last act of the service we had all given together. 
I got to thinking about Christ obviously.  Some of us have heard about the foot washing at the last supper so many times that its just part of the story.  I got to thinking about how Christ must have loved the owners of the feet he washed.  I got to thinking about how He pursues people.  I got to thinking about how much I care for these little girls down here, and how that care doesn’t hold water compared to the love Christ has for us. 
So we didn’t wash feet because they were dirty, but because little girls need love.  We have for the last year tried to follow Christ’s example of self-denying service, and we ended our time together in the same manner. 
 We need a lot of prayer.  The Botkins are in the states for 3 months.  They are a huge part of what is going on down here, and there will be a hole until they return.  Natali is departing for the states on Sunday.  There aren’t enough words to talk about the work she has done in this corner of the world.  Needless to say, she will be missed in any place that she is not.  Courtney leaves out the following Friday.  She has spent nearly 3 months here and has been kind to girls and uplifting to the staff. 
Please pray for the remaining staff as we are working on slim numbers.
Also, we have a new little girl.  She is 13.  I can’t spell her name and I don’t know her story.  God will know who you’re talking about though when you pray. 

No comments:

Post a Comment