Wednesday, August 15, 2012

"that he lay his life down for his friends"

Stressed, so I'm going to ramble.  Its been a rough day.  Not frustrating, more difficult. 

I keep thinking of moments that I won't forget.  I met my first niece last October.  I missed being home when she was born.  She was a month early and I got there 2 days late.  I remember seeing the first time when she opened her eyes.  I met my second niece in June of this year.  I missed her being born and she was a month old before I could get back.  I remember hearing her cry for the first time.  It wasn't a scream.  She was sad.  It was beautiful.  I remember thinking about how my brother and his wife are going to take care of her when she is sad.  I won't forget these moments if I live to be a hundred.

I had another one today.  I can't explain all of it.  I picked up a girl who ran away.  I had been looking for her for several hours.  I was wet and cold because it was raining.  When I found her, she was wet and cold as well.  I thought she would be angry.  I thought she would run.  She was sad and asked me for help.  It broke my heart.

I think about these girls.  It makes me angry sometimes that I'm one of the best options they have.  They should have parents who fight for them, but they don't.  I don't know how to help them most of the time.  I commit whole-heartedly to the school, because I think an education is the best way I can help them.  I wish I could fight for them like a good father would.  I wish I could take care of them like my brothers take care of their daughters.  Some of the little ones, I'm old enough to be their dad.  I clean a 2 year old's nose every day when I get to the farm, because I think that a good father wouldn't let his daughter have snot on her face. 

"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends" -John 15:13. 

People keep asking me how much longer I'm going to be in Honduras, like I have other plans.  I'm not going to leave my girls.  Not for money or security or a profession or respect or a family of my own.  If I never amount to anything, but I can make these girls feel important, thats enough for me.


3 comments:

  1. Ben Heath, sometimes you say the sweetest things. Cleaning a snotty nose is exactly what a great father would do! You love those and they love you. Following Christ is always enough, be encouraged. -haley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God that they HAVE you as an option! You may not have all the answers to their questions or their problems, but what you do have to offer them is the love of God that flows through you to them. As a child who was abandoned by his parents (raised by my grandparents) I cannot begin to tell you what I know it means to them to have a positive role model in their lives that they can trust. Keep up the good work, and know that their are people back home praying for you, the other workers and the girls....

    Craig Murphy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Family isn't always blood <3 do what you do, and keep doing great things

    ReplyDelete